Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Alzheimer's disease & Dementia

Last Sunday, I joined two long-time Saanich South residents - Lorraine and Wayne Brewster - on CFAX radio. Wayne has dementia and my community office recently helped him gain access to an appropriate care-home.

Journalist Stephen Andrews spoke to us about Alzheimer's disease, dementia and the challenges of getting good care, especially when you are relatively young like Wayne.

It was a real act of courage for Wayne and his wife to speak about their experiences on air. I know they did it because they want to see improvements in the system for other people.

Link to audio of CFAX interview
This is a very personal issue for me as my grandmother has dementia and Alzheimer's ...and it was a great struggle to get her the help she needs. I know what families with loved ones in this situation go through.


There are simply not enough complex care beds on the Island for those who need them. In fact, there are approximately 200 people waiting right now just in the VIHA region. This is an issue I will continue to work on with my colleagues in the Legislature.


Click here and you can listen to the audio clip.

Best, Lana