Monday, December 3, 2012

Helping others


Dear Friends,

As 2012 comes to a close, I reflect on this year as MLA for Saanich South. I recall successes and challenges attendant with life as an elected official trying to affect change in my community.

Another thought that arises during my reflections is that I am so grateful for all that I have in my life: loving family, rewarding work, and an ability to make a difference. None of which would be possible without the basic human needs: shelter, safety and food.

Every year, hundreds of families spend their winter months trying to meet these basic needs. We've all heard of the decision between food and heat, or between food and medicine – but few of us really understand what that decision feels like.

The solutions to poverty are complex and seemingly very distant. We can do better, we all know that and we must all continue our individual efforts to eliminate poverty.

In the meantime, we can – each of us – make poverty easier to survive in many ways. Part of my effort is to host a food bank drive, at my community office, throughout December.  I invite each of you to stop by my office; 4085 Quadra St (corner of Nicholson) with a donation for those less fortunate than ourselves.

This year, we will be collecting for two different organizations: the Mustard Seed Food Bank and Anawim House.  All non-perishable food items will be donated to the Mustard Seed. The Anawim House is always in need of some very basic items: such as toothbrushes, toothpaste and warm socks.

All donations collected at my office will be delivered on December 20, 2012.

If you cannot make a donation, please consider volunteering at food banks, meal programs, or for one of the many organizations that are combating poverty.

"You will discover that you have two hands. 

One is for helping yourself, the other is for helping others."

~Audrey Hepburn


Enjoy this song by Ben Harper, with Jack Johnson

Thank you!

Lana