The BC government began 2014 by wasting millions of taxpayer dollars on "Jobs Plan" advertising. They use your own money to distract from their failure to address the serious economic challenges we face as a province.
Consider this cross-section of key economic indicators:
- Highest child poverty rate in the nation. (Source, First Call)
- Lowest GDP and highest unemployment rate among western provinces. (Source, RBC Economics)
- Ninth in private sector job growth relative to other provinces, September 2011- December 2013. (Source, Statistics Canada)
- Ninth in the growth of household income relative to other provinces. (Source, BC Business Council)
- Net loss of people to other provinces for nine consecutive quarters. Over the last several years, 12,000 more people have left BC than have moved here. (Source, Statistics Canada)
- Significant and expanding income inequality: BC has the largest gap between the top 20 and the bottom 20 percent of income earners among the provinces. (Source, BC Stats)
BC can do better than this!
Is this government capable of conceding their 28 month old "Jobs Plans" is a failure? An honest assessment is a critical first step to a new effort.
We need to see new initiatives, not more smoke and mirrors. Initiatives that reflect that gravity of the situation and the inter-related challenges such as climate change, needed reforms to BC Hydro and justice for First Nations.
The Official Opposition has and will continue to put forward constructive ideas, and we won’t shy away from shining a bright spotlight on the failures of the government. That is our job and there is lots to do!
Lana Popham, MLA Saanich South